Monday, November 19, 2007

Thanks everyone..

for helping out when I needed it. Bong, JohnV, Ed, Romy, Jack, Cesar, JR., Rollie, Rodger, Jerry, Nancy.

We were still in Livermore on our return path on Vineyard Ave right past Old Vineyard when the grade pitched up by about 8 degrees - I left my gear on the big ring (53) and probably a 17 at the back, off the saddle and did about three full rotations on the crank when I felt like my bike broke in two pieces. Turned out my chain - which was still fairly new - broke. Right behind me when I and my bike collapsed to the ground were Ed, and Romy. They immediately helped me up to the sidewalk out of harms way. Bong whipped out his chain tool, removed the broken link and reconnected the chain with such deft and speed that by the time I got up the bike was ready to roll.

Now I'd like to pause for a minute here.

First off thanks be to God the Father the Almighty Creator of heaven and earth - for literally saving my behind. As I said earlier I was on an 8 degree incline off the saddle meaning about 4 feet above ground when I flopped to the ground since the weight bearing chain snapped. It's like I was guided on that fall - I did feel the impact but the placement of the fall was on the best spot one would like to fall on incidents like this - on one's tush. I could have fallen on my back, and Bong mentioned I could have fallen on the handlebars with potential serious injury to my ribs. I've always believed and prayed for divine intervention and this is one of those moments so evident I cannot even deny it.

JohnV insisted that we get the proper chain link put in, and guided us to the Pleasanton Cyclepath. I've always admired John's ability to lead well and in moments like this, I saw his leadership shine even more with his concern for my safety on the way back (we had another 25 miles heading back to Union City). I had the pleasure of meeting Pleasanton Cyclepath's Joel who sold JohnV his Specialized, and another Cyclepath celebrity I haven't seen for months - Gephardt (boy has he lost some major pounds!). Bong whipped out his chain tool again and installed the chain link. Special thanks as well to Kuya Romy for dolling out the cash for the link (Romy, I owe you a link and two tubes among many other things;-)

Everyone was just super accommodating - all the guys and gals I mentioned above, and for this I am truly thankful. I'll definitely be spinning up those hills next time on a lower gear:-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and God bless you always. -Manny

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Manny, masyado ka kasing malakas, hinay hinay lang sa mga hills, we ol kno that u can do it in a big ring, but there are times that u need to slow urslf...jomo

johnV said...

you are very welcome,and i hope youre feeling better.god bless us all.i will not be available this weekend for the ride.

john_m said...

Mr. Manny... aaaaaaaaahhhhh. that dreaded sudden uphill can be a real eye opener. i must say that we now own a piece of land in the vineyards of livermore. my shoulder is still bugging me from that last stuntman airshow 6 or 7 mos ago. Good to know you're OK. God is great man! Amen!!!

MadoneLemon said...

Often,shifting and a sudden leap to standing position at the moment of climb has a tremendous impact on the chain and gears.It is quiet assuring that you sacrifice a 1/2 of a pedal stroke to engage, just like a clutch on a car having a manual transmission.You said your chain was fairly new but gave up anyway.If your bike is a 10speeder, it should be on a 10 speeder chain not on a 7speeder chain since the groove are not compatible. Some chain could drive you for a while, giving you a false sense of security, others keep on sucking or slipping.So, pls check.Anyway,good to know you are OK. GODSPEED.

BobbyG said...

I can agree with you on that madonelemon. I remember shifting down and getting ready to hammer on the pedals not realizing the shift was not complete. Well short story is, chain slipped I ended up going over the handlebars using my palms to try and soften my landing. End result, a sore wrist and couple of raspberrys on knees and elbows.

BobbyG said...

Mr. Manny, its good to know you are okay. I always make it a point to always inspect my bikes before rides as well during tune ups and cleaning sessions (my wife calls it tinkering :) ). I do believe that this helps in keeping mechanical break downs to a minimum.

Manny D (www.stophhs.com) said...

thanks guys 4 all the great thoughts, fond memories (johnM, our brotherhood has been truly entrenched on that infamous road, jack said we should bring some holy water next time and sprinkle it on the pavement:-) johnV happy t, thanks jojo, you're right i need to gear down before those hills - I think i've been straining my chain to the hilt..monsiuer madone, bobbyG, great advice thanks again, also a couple of calls from romy, bong, cesar to make sure i'm okay..bobbyG are you posting the ride for this Sunday? Happy T guys!!

BobbyG said...

Sorry Manny, no can do on that. I will be all over the bay area from Fairfield to Daly City attending two thanksgiving feasts and a baby shower. With that, Happy Turkey Day to all!

Jack Ibagbaga (also known as) Batillog said...

Manny and JohnM, I think we have to make a special trip back to that place and make some kind of peace offering. I don't know when is it appropriate to bless or make an offering, I never got that part from my elders. Maybe we'll just do both.

Manny D (www.stophhs.com) said...

BobbyG, not a problem..happyT to you and your family. Jack, there's a ride this Sunday if you're interested.

winston said...

Manny- painagpapala talaga yung mabat na tao, glad you're OK.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING SIKLISTAS!!!!

Manny D (www.stophhs.com) said...

winston, maraming salamat. happy thanksgiving to you and your family!